Finger Lakes Family care in Canadaigua, Ontario County, NY is a patient centered medical home. Finger Lakes Family care is part of a larger initiative called "medical home" which was launched in 2009 to serve regions surrounding Rochester, NY. This program includes 21 doctors working in 7 different practice sites in the Rochester region, including Finger Lakes Family Care. The medical home model utilizes technology to improve communication, coordination, and accessibility of patient care. Specifically, the use of technological improvements allows doctors, patients, and families to have quick and easy access to not only primary care providers, but specialists as well. Implementation of the medical home model of care allows for the elimination of unnecessary doctors visits, and streamlines the process of getting connected with the appropriate provider.
As a Physician Assistant I hope to work in the Rochester, NY region and am looking forward to exploring the medical home model of care. Through the utilization of abundant and ever-expanding technology it is easy to see how the medical home model, while seemingly new at this time, will begin to become a house-hold name. I look forward to learning more about this effective form of health care.
I agree with you on the sentiment about the evolution of medicine toward the medical home model. I think it is a very exciting time in medicine, both for patients and for providers. I think that embracing a team approach to patient care will allow all providers to deliver their best care.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this article. When I hear about all the improvements that are happening with medical home care I can't help but wonder why it has taken us so long to get here! People with chronic conditions like hypertension and diabetes are maintaining healthy parameters. This is not just a good thing for the patient but also a good thing for the healthcare system as a whole. I think initiatives like this one are occurring in more and more places which is amazing for the patients and exciting for me because I hope to be apart of this type of healthcare!
ReplyDeleteChelsey
ReplyDeleteI read with great interest your article about Finger Lakes Family Care in Canadaigua. This medical home model is important part of current health care transformation. It transforms organization and delivery of the health care. I especially agree with you that this model allows for the elimination of unnecesary doctors visits and provides comprehensive and coordinated health care of the patients.
Mary